- Preheat oven and line bottom and sides of backing dish with foil to minimize clean up.
- Cover bottom of foil-lined dish with tortilla chips, standing some up on sides.
- Save some for top and for eating later.
- Gently heat refried beans in small pan, adding a little water to thin a bit, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- Spread spoonfuls of refried beans over the chips as evenly as possible.
- Crumble chicken into smaller chucks and spread evenly over the chips and beans.
- Chop half a small onion, more or less, into small pieces and sprinkle over other ingredients.
- Mix together enchilada sauce and soup (use same pan as beans to save cleanup).
- Heat and stir until smooth. Pour sauce mix over chips, beans and chicken.
- Top with even layer of grated cheese.
- Bake in oven with medium (180 degrees C (Gas Mark 4)) heat for about 30 minutes until hot through and cheese has melted.
NOTE: If desired, add chopped tomatoes before cheese layer. Serve with extra chips.